Problem Solving in Golf

Sunday, August 11, 2013
Posted by wiby

Problem Solving in Golf


"Golf is a thinking man's game. You can have all the shots in the bag, but if you don't know what to do with them, you've got troubles." - Chi Chi Rodriguez.
Playing the game of golf well requires completing the course using the fewest strokes possible. Your ability to problem solve on the course is vital to shooting low scores. Problem solving on the course requires using strategies that best utilize your existing skills, knowledge and experience. Using an effective problem solving method will improve your performance and optimize skills by focusing your attention on your game plan and helping you evaluate shot risks/rewards.
Problem Solving and Decision Making Method
1- Identify and Select the Problem. In Golf the problem of the game is to use the fewest possible strokes to complete the course. The goal of each shot is to maximize your chance to complete the hole with the fewest strokes possible.
2 - Analyze the Problem. Arrive at a clearer understanding of the problem. The goal of the game is to use the fewest possible strokes to complete the course. My goal is to strategically use my existing skills, experience and knowledge to my advantage making the best decisions possible about each stroke taken, using each shot to position myself to complete the hole in the fewest possible strokes. Defining the best target for each shot is the best way to do this.
3 - Generate Potential Solutions. Identify the possible target areas to land the shot to complete the hole with the fewest strokes possible.
4 - Select and Plan the Solution. By evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of alternatives, including potential risks and benefits, and short- and long-term consequences I can select and plan the best possible target area for my next shot. Considerations in evaluating my best target include: Looking at the ball to see what kind of lie it has before choosing a club. Taking the wind into consideration. Finding any fairway trouble, and playing away from it, if possible. Always playing short of trouble or going over it if possible. Considering how high the rough is and whether I can get out of it. Noticing if the course is wet or very dry. Asking myself if this is an uphill or downhill shot. Choosing my target and club by the lie of the ball. Thinking about whether I want the ball to stop or roll after it reaches its target. Using this information I select the target that best utilizes my available skills, experience and knowledge maximizing my chance of completing the hole with the fewest strokes possible.
5 - Implement the solution. Commit and perform my shot.
6 - Evaluate the Solution. Post game evaluate decisions made on the course, and note any skills that could be improved or built on.

Labels:

0 comments: